So you are engaged! Or maybe one of your good friends are? Well congratulations! It's that time of year, where a huge surge in wedding shows is upon us. There are tons of shows in January and several on weekends even weekday nights throughout the remainder of the year. Some are large, some are more intimate. It can be really confusing to sort out and get the best vendors among whose-who especially at the larger shows such as The Seattle Wedding Show, The NW Bridal Expo, and the Seattle or Tacoma Wedding Expo's (from Brides Club).
Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your experience when visiting wedding shows:
1. Look for vendors who look like they are actually happy to be there and are engaging. Some people can be too pushy however. Don't let anyone push you in to anything you don't want. Interact with the vendors and get to know them a little. These are people who will be servicing you on one of the biggest days of your life. If you do not like them as a person why would you hire them?
2. Once you do get to know the vendors and there is someone you do like or someone you don't like, how are you going to remember them out of the hundreds of booths you are visiting that day? Do one of two things: Either bring a little note pad and make notes of names of companies you really did like or bring a few colors of sticky notes and stick them on the brochures, flyers and cards given out by companies. You can use for example green for places you loved, yellow for places that were so-so and red/pink for places that were a huge no way! (Get the metaphor relation to a traffic light there?) Since they are sticky notes you can also make notes on them if you have the chance.
3. Look for vendors who are having sales specifically for the show or a short period of time. Many vendors offer special rates at the bridal shows, while others do not. Look for the ones who are offering a quality product but yet a special rate for you to take advantage of. Lots of places will give out free favors too! Loot score! (Make sure you get the free tote bag at the entrance).
4. If you haven't picked out a wedding cake (or if you are hungry even), make sure to stop by all the delicious cake booths offering samples. It is a great way to try out many bakeries all in one stop without having to travel all around the Sound to find that perfect cake or cupcakes or desert!
5. Lots of times you might see a great idea at a show as well. You might see a dress at a bridal booth you love or a flower centerpiece or a table display from a wedding planner or rental company that you just must have. That is why its always a great idea to have a camera. Sure you can write your ideas in your notepad but your camera will help you remember your idea even better, plus you and your MOH or fiance can document your fun experience. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?
6. At shows, nearly every vendor/booth is offering some sort of drawing. Save your hand some pain and strain and print your self out some pre-addressed labels. Make sure they include your phone # and/or email so they can contact you if and when you do win!
Upcoming Wedding Shows:
Seattle Wedding Show January 7 & 8 Washington Convention & Trade Center
NW Bridal Expo January 14 &15 Tulalip Casino Ballroom (It's Your Day will be in booth #110)
Seattle Wedding Expo January 14 & 15 Seattle Center
Space Needle Wine & Wedding Experience January 19 Space Needle
Tacoma Wedding Expo January 21 & 22 Tacoma Dome
Lynnwood-Everett Wedding Expo January 28 & 29 Comcast Arena
Wine & Wedding Experience -Hollywood Schoolhouse February 2 The Hollywood Schoolhouse, Woodinville
Snohomish Wedding Tour May 20, 2012 Venues around Snohomish